Montana Women Vote is hiring a Legislative Assistant
This position offers the benefit of working closely with a non-partisan, non-profit coalition working on a broad array of policy issues that impact women and families in Montana.
Your experience will include:
• Tracking targeted legislation in the 2013 Montana Legislature and in the media
• Assisting in the writing and development of weekly email action alerts, which are emailed to MWV’s list of 2000+ supporters.
• Assisting in the planning and execution of the Women’s Policy Leadership Institute (WPLI) on February 1st and 2nd 2013 in Helena.
• Helping to build MWV’s story bank with constituent personal stories. Help with outreach and story collection.
• Assisting in planning Montana Women Vote lobby days at the Capitol.
More about us: MWV is a coalition of non-profit women’s organizations working to engage low-income women at all levels of our democracy.
MWV works to show the connections between issues of economic justice, reproductive rights, environmental health, violence against women, human rights, and empowering women in advocating for public policies that support women and families. Member organizations include the MT Human Rights Network, Blue Mountain Clinic, Planned Parenthood, MT Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, Pro-Choice/NARAL, WORD (Women’s Opportunity and Resource Development (WORD), homeWORD, and the YWCA of Missoula.
Each legislative session, MWV works to track and influence legislation that impacts women and families in Montana. This is done through in-person lobbying, but by also engaging women voters around the issues that they care about and supporting them to testify and tell their stories.
Qualification and Skills Preferred:
· Self-directed – comfortable setting own work plan and achieving goals
· Flexible and willing to adapt strategies and problem solve
· Strong organizational skills and ability to work efficiently on your own
· Ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide range or people
· Ability to meet timely reporting requirements
· Knowledge and interest in women issues, especially those faced by low-income women
· Willingness to learn new things and work as part of a team
MWV is looking for a commitment of between 6-10 hours a week, preferably starting in early January. This position is based out of Missoula but could involve travel for the right candidate. This position can be an unpaid internship, social work practicum placement, and could possibly be a work-study position for the right candidate. Questions, contact Olivia Riutta.
To apply please send a cover letter and a resume to Olivia Riutta, Olivia@montanawomenvote.org, (406) 317-1504. For more information about Montana Women Vote please review our website: www.montanawomenvote.org.