Passages Northwest Wilderness School and BOLD Mountain School are primarily single gender YMCA programs dedicated to inspiring courage and leadership in diverse groups of adolescent girls and boys through outdoor adventures. Our vision is to promote a world that values all equally, offers youth opportunities to change their lives and communities for the better, and supports them in realizing their dreams. We prepare young people, from middle school on, to be the next generation of leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world. Find out more at www.ymcaleadership.org
In the summer of 2012 we served 450 youth 11-18 years old on 52 differnt one to three week wilderness expeditions backpacking, rock climbing, fishing and mountaineering in Washington and British Columbia. 50% of our students participate on scholarship and 40% identify as people of color.
We are currently hiring Wilderness Instructors for this coming Spring and Summer. Programs are based out of Seattle, WA.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Teach outdoor skills during one- to twenty-one day wilderness-based rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking, or mountaineering courses; deliver high quality and safe courses
• Create values-forming experiences for self-identified adolescents and work with parents/guardians to provide holistic support for teens and their families
• Support the organization’s overall cultural competency development
Critical Success Factors and Qualifications:
• Professional instructional experience in backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, and/or mountaineering
• Commitment to working with diverse groups
• Excellent judgment and decision making skills
• Strong group facilitation, communication, and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to create an inclusive environment for all participants
• Experience making the transference of a wilderness experience relevant to the everyday lives of urban youth
• Experience facilitating activities addressing issues facing adolescent girls or boys
• Experience leading art, science, and/or environmental education activities
• Current W-EMT, WFR, or WFA (Assistant Instructors only) and CPR
• Clear criminal background check; safe driving record
• Instructors must be available for training in the Seattle area in early June
• Instructors are in the field during programs
Dates of employment: Summer programs run June 8th- September 1st. Instructors are contracted on a course-by-course basis including paid time for planning and debriefing. Opportunities exist for additional work based on interest and availability. Must be available evenings and weekends. Instructors DO NOT have to be available for all dates.
Compensation: DOE, $70- $115/day. Benefits with full summer commitment include a YMCA membership, access to pro-deals, and professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
GOLD/BOLD YMCA Metrocenter 909 4th Ave Seattle, WA 98104
Review of applications will begin January 14th, 2013